Residence Permit Based on Studies

If you come to Finland to study and those studies last longer than 90 days, you must apply for a resident permit. If you are citizen of a visa-free country or a citizen of a EU Member State, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you are not required to have a residence permit for Finland.

You can submit your application online as well. Using the online system will speed up the application process.

Means of support is an essential ground in order to be granted a resident permit based on studies, and worth your attention as most of the previous mentioned resident permit are rejected because of complications that might occur in the amount (6720€) or the source (sponsor, family, etc.).

Another essential ground is to have a sufficient health insurance. Your health insurance must last at least one year (12 months) and cover up to 30.000+ euros of medical treatment if you intend to study for more than 90 days in Finland.

Steps You Must Follow

Applying for a resident permit based on studies you will have to follow the steps indicated bellow:

  1. After you have applied to an educational institute, you receive a letter of acceptance.
  2. Fill in your resident permit application online and make sure you have attached all the documents.
  3. Go to a Finnish embassy (or consulate) and provide them all the information needed.
  4. You will have to wait for the application to be processed.
  5. Once you receive that the decision has been made if positive than you proceed collecting you resident permit from the embassy. If negative you have to draft an appeal or let us do it for you by contacting us here.
  6. You can move to Finland.

Students Have the Right to Work

With a student residence permit you will have the right to work if such work is part of a traineeship required for a degree or is on a research paper required for the studies. You may perform other kinds of work for 25 hours a week on average during the academic term. The number of working hours is not restricted on a weekly level, which means that you can work periodically during the academic term according to your situation, so that you work for 25 hours a week on average.

You have full freedom to work at the times when your educational institution offers no instruction, that is, during summer and Christmas holidays.